Our first ever ELEV8 Pitch Night took place on March 9, and iF was pleased to feature a roster of six thriving startups who pitched to our live audience here at McMaster Innovation Park!
ELEV8 is a new pitch competition event by iF held three times per year, where companies who have a product in-market (or close to launch) present their business in an investment-style pitch presentation. It’s designed to help connect our partners, volunteer mentors and the broader Hamilton community with up-and-coming startups.
You may remember our Innovation Nights? Well, we’ve taken that concept and elevated it by having thriving startup clients pitch investment-style for the chance to take home a $250 or $750 prize.
Our expert judging panel evaluated pitches and awarded the cash prizes. Judges included: Karen Grant of Angel One Investor Network, Peter Everitt of Ridout & Maybee, and Joan Hodge of Meridian Credit Union.
Over 100 guests joined us to watch the following companies deliver their 5-minute pitches:
- Ryan O’Grady of Fotaflo – a digital photo service developed specifically for the adventure tourism industry.
- Josh Lombardo-Bottema of GoWrench Auto – a mobile auto mechanic service that brings auto repairs right to your door.
- Dan Doherty of Nix Color Sensor – a tool that helps measure color more accurately and conveniently.
- Chris Buttenham of Tasytt – a gamified employee onboarding platform for growing teams.
- Brandon Moore of Whey2Live – a company providing healthy whey protein-based food alternatives that consumers can trust.
- Colin Duetta of xocial – a gamified environment for recognizing, inspiring and rewarding social good.
How we evaluate a business pitch
Following each pitch, the judges asked questions and based their evaluations on each company’s business model, value proposition, go-to-market strategy, commercial viability, and more. Once votes were tallied, Dan Doherty of Nix Color Sensor scored highest winning $750 and Brandon Moore of Whey2Live won $250 scoring second highest!
The event was filled with great networking opportunities for presenters and attendees alike – you can view photos from the event here.
*If you’re interested in contacting any of the above companies, or you missed Pitch Night and would like to learn more, check out our ELEV8 booklet!
The next ELEV8 Pitch Night will be held on June 29, so be sure to mark your calendar.