Jumpstarter Pitch Event Applications Due
September 18 @ 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Alibaba Hong Kong Entrepreneurs Fund is a not-for-profit initiative launched by Alibaba Group in 2015. The Fund’s mission is to help Hong Kong-based entrepreneurs and young people realize their dreams and visions for their businesses and communities. Currently, the Fund runs two programs to fulfil this mission. The Investment Program provides Hong Kong-based entrepreneurs with investment capital and strategic guidance to help them grow their businesses and penetrate global markets by utilizing Alibaba’s vast ecosystem. The Internship Program offers Hong Kong graduates and students from tertiary institutions a chance to learn with us by providing valuable internship opportunities at Alibaba Group and our affiliate companies. For more information, please visit www.ent-fund.org
Jumpstarter is a first-of-its-kind startup event that unites and empowers Hong Kong’s hottest startup sectors. The goal is to give young dreamers in Hong Kong and across the world a jumpstart with a series of pitching events, a lift by facilitating learning among entrepreneurs, and a boost in the form of networking opportunities with investors.
2017 Jumpstarter only targeted startups in Hong Kong, and 2019 Jumpstarter opened the application to international startups. Jumpstarter 2020 will be the first year Alibaba hosts semi-pitch events in selected overseas cities.
Semi-Pitch Event in Toronto
- Official launched on June 26, 2019
- Application deadline for Toronto event is Sep 18, 2019
Event Date & Venue:
Oct 16 & Oct 17, 2019 at Ontario Investment and Trade Center
- The objective is to pre-select up to 5 Canadian startups to participate in Jumpstarter to be held in Hong Kong in Feb. 2020.
- Fintech, e-Commerce, AI, Robotics and Smart City.
- Innovative product and service in other sectors, i.e. life sciences, will also be considered.
Qualification of Applicant:
JUMPSTARTER is open to all startups around the world. If you’re an early-staged startup and you fulfil the following requirements, you’re eligible to apply
- Less than 5 years
- Startup has raised less than US$20 million in funding
- Startup funding is between Seed and Series C stage
- Possess a ground-breaking and innovative product or service
- Future development plan or existing operations in Hong Kong
Benefits to Local Applicants:
- The event will be a platform for local startups who are interested in entering Asia market, or through Hong Kong to other Asia market.
- AHKEF will sponsor local startups’ travel cost to Hong Kong to participate in Jumpstarter.
- InvestHK (HK Govt FDI body), HKSTP and Cyberport (both are government funded tech and innovation park), will provide other form of support and guidance while the startups are in Hong Kong.
- Pre-select 30-40 applicants from all online applications to attend one-on-one interview on Oct. 16 2019 .
- Shortlisted 10-12 startups to participate in pitching on the second day, Oct. 17, 2019.
- A maximum of 5 finalists will be selected and invited to Hong Kong to participate in Jumpstarter to be held in Feb. 2020.
- Toronto is one of the eight cities they have selected to stage a Semi-Pitch event. Others are London, San Francisco, Kuala Lumpur, Hong Kong, Shenzhen, Shanghai and Beijing
Criteria for Judges:
- Venture capital investors
- Senior executives of key incubators / accelerators
- Senior executives from innovation department of corporates
- Experienced entrepreneurs from local startup community
- Experienced investors, founders, CEO, or thought leaders in local startup community
For more information or questions, please contact
Lisa Qi, Area Director for China
International Business Growth Branch
Ministry of Economic Development, Job Creation & Trade